Monday, June 28, 2010

DIY Repainting Old Wooden Furntiture Shabby Chic

So for the past year, I have been using this fugly nightstand in my room. My parents bought it for me at a garage sale and I have been planning on repainting it since the day I saw it. I briefly considered selling it because I was too lazy to give it a face-lift. However, I finally got around to it.



1. Make sure that what you are painting is not an antique or something expensive. Mine was from the late 70's and purchased at a garage sale, I have a picture that proves it!




2. Choose a paint color that matches your décor. Go to the hardware store and purchase the following items
- Large drop cloth
- Water-based paint. You're probably okay with just one quart.
- Paint Primer (basic white will work)
- Paint Brush (I suggest 2 kinds, a roller and cheapy wood brush)
- Sand Paper - Fine Grain
I chose a color called Pink Ballet Slipper because it matches the shabby chic theme of my room.



Optional: If you are changing out the handles/knobs (highly suggested! They can change the whole feel of a piece) make sure you measure first. There are many sizes of handles. I learned this the hard way when I thought I could just 'estimate' how large the spacing was. It turned out that the handles for this particular piece cannot be purchased at a home store. I'll update later to show you guys the better handles.

3. Get in a well ventilated area. Lay out the drop cloth as far as it will go. The plastic drop cloth I used was pretty flimsy. I might suggest a cloth drop cloth if you're planning on making repainting a regular habit. You're going to make a mess. I used my living room because I was at home alone when I did this. Also take the drawer out of your piece to paint separately. It also makes moving it easier!

IMPORTANT: When you bring the piece to the drop cloth, make sure you remove all handles and hardware.



4. Sand down the item. Everywhere. Sanding allows the paint primer to adhere to the wood because it creates little scratches where the paint can 'grab' on to the furniture. Vacuum or wipe off the dust with a dry cloth - not wet.



5. Paint on the primer


6. Wait for the Primer to dry for at least an hour. I got lazy documenting from here on out because I had paint all over my hands. Sorry.

7. Paint on the colored paint. A mostly flat piece will be easy to paint, but a textured piece like mine will be a pain!
Tip: For a flat surface, use the roller. For textures/corners use your cheapy wood brush.

8. Wait for it to fully dry. Then the hardware is ready to be reapplied!

As an alternative, if you would like a glossier finish you could also spray on some basic glossy paint from the craft store. Otherwise, you're probably good to go.

Vóila! You're done! Unless you still want Shabby Chic... but then there is just one more step.

9. Do some light sanding in the areas that will experience the most traffic and wear. I suggest corners and sides. This creates the illusion of wear. Don't over do it, just enough to get through the paint and primer.

Before and After Pictures:

Before:


After:




As you can see the current drawer handles are such an eyesore! I'm going to try and get a more gold toned drawer handle, perhaps even with porcelain accents.


Drawers are lined with tissue paper.

So that's just about it for my completed projects so far. This took about 1 day to complete and was pretty darn cost efficient too.

2 comments:

ViAnh Nguyen said...

Oh my goodness so cute Audrey. Restoration Hardware and Anthropologie have extremely cute drawer pulls if you're still on the lookout for those :)

Augustine said...

Thanks ViAnh! I would totally get a drawer pull from anthropologie.. but the holes on the drawer are too far apart! I think that it needs a custom sized drawer pull =(

Post a Comment